Barony of Bryn Madoc Home Page
THE BARONY OF BRYN MADOC
The Barony of Bryn Madoc is the Athens, Georgia area chapter of the SCA. Our several lands also extend into Jefferson, Commerce, Watkinsville, Monroe, Winder, GA, and points in-between.
Our Baron and Baroness are Duc Orlando Cavalcanti () and Mistress Leonora Simonetta d'Este (), who stepped up to the Baronial thrones at Dreamstone 36.
- Business meetings are held on the FIRST Tuesday of each month at 7:30 p.m. in east Athens at Fire Station #7, 2350 Barnett Shoals Road (see below for directions and see the calendar for exceptions). Please contact the seneschal, Baroness Muirenn (Ashley Cotton), for more information and details. Arts and sciences meetings are held monthly on various dates, location and dates TBA. Email:
- Fighter practices are being held at Dacula Park (205 Dacula Road) in Dacula, GA (see below for directions). The Barony also joins the MARS group at their practices on Mondays (see next item below). Please contact the marshal, Lord Engelbrecht (Alex Medina,
), for more information, including time and days. The Shire of Beau Fort holds a Sunday afternoon fighter practice nearby at Sells Mill Park (8783 Jackson Trail Rd.) in Hoschton, GA; join their Yahoo! group for details and directions.
- The Medieval and Renaissance Society (MARS) is our sister student chapter on the University of Georgia's campus (link goes to an external website). MARS hosts fighter practices (heavy and rapier combat) on Mondays at Memorial Park (293 Gran Ellen Dr., Athens, GA 30606), near the Bear Hollow Zoo. Map. Rapier combat starts at 7 p.m. and heavy combat starts at 8 p.m. FP moves to the Meyers Quad on the UGA campus for the months of August and September. More information and directions can be found on the MARS website.
- For the latest listings on Arts & Sciences workshops, please check the A&S calendar or contact the incoming A&S officer, Lady Ellerete (Illy Brownlee) for more information. Email:
- Please contact our Baronial herald, the Silver Sail Pursuivant, Lord Sigfried (Steven Barrow), for heraldic submissions and information on heraldry use within the SCA. Email:
- European dance classes are held as interest warrants, currently Wednesdays on the UGA campus with MARS. Please contact the dancemistress, Baroness Mariona (Susan Wilson) for dates, time, and more information. Email:
- For the most current information on Baronial activities, join our email list by signing up through the Bryn Madoc Yahoo! group. We also have a page on Facebook.
- If you'd like to learn more about the Barony's history, visit Lymphad Journey: The Hall of Memory for the Barony of Bryn Madoc, Lord Dyfn's personal site on the history of Bryn Madoc.*
- If you're new to the SCA or interested in learning more about our organization, please investigate the SCA's “Resources and Information for Newcomers” site and the Kingdom of Meridies Chatelaine's site.
- May 14 — Golden Lily (Beau Fort, Jackson County Equestrian Center, 2219 Wheeler Cemetery Rd., Maysville, GA 30558)
- May 21 — Border Raids (Dragon's Mark, Midrealm, Glendale Campgrounds, Elizabethtown, KY)
- May 28-29— Kingdom A&S Faire/Crown List (Osprey and Phoenix Glade, Northwest Florida Fairgrounds, 1958 Lewis Turner Blvd., Fort Walton Beach, FL 32547)
- June 4 — Black Axe (Iron Mountain, 687 County Rd 3919, Arley, AL 35541)
- June 17-27 — SCA 50th Anniversary (Society for Creative Anachronism, Hendricks Co. 4-H Fairgrounds & Conference Complex, 1900 East Main Street, Danville, IN 46122)
- June 18 — Legends (Sol Haven, Factory Shoals Recreation Park, 450 Newton Factory Bridge Road, Covington, GA 30014)
- June 25 — Madoctrek (annual mudane picnic for members, family, and friends of the Barony, Fort Mountain State Park,* Chatsworth, GA); meet at Shelter 6 at the Old Wall picnic area noonish, bring flesh to char and food to share. Help us celebrate Bryn Madoc's 40th anniversary! Madoctrek is not an SCA activity, this information is provided as a courtesy only. Location coordinates: 34°46'
- July 18 — Royal University of Meridies (South Downs, University of West Georgia, Carrollton, GA)
- Aug. 20 — Summer Collegia (Drakenmere)
- Aug. 27 — Tourney of the Foxes (Vulpine Reach
|Catch the activities at our 2008 Danelaw: Viking Games event courtesy of the University of Georgia's NewsSource 15! *|
- Baronial Awards: Order of the Dreamstone, Star of Bryn Madoc, Lord of the May/Harvest, Order of the Argent Oar, Order of Madoc's Lance, Muse of Bryn Madoc
- Contact the seneschal, Baroness Muirenn (Ashley Cotton) for more information on meetings and events. Email:
- Directions to the Meetings: Firestation #7 is located at 2350 Barnett Shoals Road, near the Kroger on the east side of Athens. Map.
From US-78 or GA-316: Take the Loop 10 exit (before Home Depot if on 316 or after Georgia Square Mall if on 78) going counter-clockwise (toward UGA) around Athens until you reach the College Station Rd exit (just past the Milledge Rd exit). At College Station Rd., turn right away or outside of the perimeter from campus/the stadium and continue until you see Kroger on the left. At this point you will want to be in the right lane. College Station Rd. ends at a T-intersection with Barnett Shoals at a light about 100 yards past the Kroger shopping center entrance. Take a right onto Barnett Shoals and travel for about 150 yards — Firestation #7 will be the solitary brick building on your right.
- Directions to Dacula Fighter Practice: Dacula Park is located between Atlanta and Athens, GA in the town of Dacula, at 205 Dacula Rd. Map.*
From GA-316: Take best route to GA-316, turn north onto Harbins Rd., and continue onto Dacula Rd.
- A very special message from the former Baron & Baroness: “The Barony of Bryn Madoc mourns deeply the loss of a true friend and brother, Lonnie Harvel, known in these current Middle Ages as THLord Owen (Aoghann) de Montgomery. We loved him dearly and miss him greatly. Please join us in remembering him, his name and his deeds, and keep his family in your thoughts and meditations. With heavy hearts, Óengus & Muirenn”
DISCLAIMER: This is the recognized web site for the Barony of Bryn Madoc of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. and is maintained by M. Dowdle Head. This site may [or may not] contain electronic versions of the group's governing documents. Any discrepancies between the electronic version of any information on this site and the printed version that is available from the originating office will be decided in favor of the printed version. For information on using photographs, articles, or artwork from this web site, please contact the Webminister at . The Webminister will assist you in contacting the original creator of the piece. Please respect the legal rights of our contributors.
Copyright © 2016, Barony of Bryn Madoc.
The original contributors retain the copyright of certain portions of this site.
For information on using photographs, articles, or artwork from this website, please contact the web maintainer at the address below. They will assist you in contacting the original creator of the piece. Please respect the legal rights of our contributors.
Links marked with an asterisk (*) will take visitors to an outside website. External links are provided as a service to the populace at large and are offered on an “as is” basis. All external links are not part of the Barony of Bryn Madoc's web site. Inclusion of a page or site here is neither implicit nor explicit endorsement of the site. Further, SCA, Inc. is not responsible for content outside of brynmadoc.meridies.org.
The maintainer of this page is Margala (M. Dowdle Head).
Site maintainer is NOT accessible via the Tavern Yard.
This page was last updated on May 11, 2016.