Barony of Bryn Madoc Home Page
THE BARONY OF BRYN MADOC
The Barony of Bryn Madoc is the Athens, Georgia area chapter of the SCA. Our several lands also extend into Jefferson, Commerce, Watkinsville, Monroe, Winder, GA, and points in-between.
Our Baron and Baroness are Tiarna Óengus mac GillaDubain () and Bantiarna Muirenn ingen Donngaile (), who stepped up to the Baronial thrones at Dreamstone 31.
“Greetings, and welcome to the Barony of Bryn Madoc! We are a diverse and talented group of gentles composing one of the oldest chapters of the Society for Creative Anachronism in the Southeast. Founded over 30 years ago, we have a vast array of knowledge and experience to help you find your way in whatever field you wish to explore, be it the arts, sciences, or the martial pursuits. There really is something for everyone! Please take a look around our site, and feel free to contact us with any questions you may have. We hope you will join us as we recreate the Middle Ages in Modern Times.” —Óengus & Muirenn, Baron & Baroness, Bryn Madoc
- Congratulations to the current King and Queen of Meridies, His Royal Majesty Kenneth Grey and Her Royal Majesty Sabine d'Orliens!
- Business meetings are held on the second Tuesday of each month at 7:30 p.m. in northeast Athens at Fire Station #8, 3955 Jefferson Road, US-129 (see below for directions and see the calendar for exceptions). Please contact the seneschal, Lady Isobail (Tammy Breckenridge), for more information and details. Arts and sciences meetings are held monthly on various dates, location and dates TBA. Email:
- Fighter practices are being held at Dacula Park (205 Dacula Road) in Dacula, GA (see below for directions). The Barony also joins the MARS group at their practices on Mondays (see next item below). Please contact the marshal, Lord Faolan (Nick Williams,
), for more information, including time and days. The Shire of Beau Fort holds a Sunday afternoon fighter practice nearby at Sells Mill Park (8783 Jackson Trail Rd.) in Hoschton, GA; join their Yahoo! group for details and directions.
- The Medieval and Renaissance Society (MARS) is our sister student chapter on the University of Georgia's campus (link goes to an external website). MARS hosts fighter practices (heavy and rapier combat) on Mondays at Memorial Park (293 Gran Ellen Dr., Athens, GA 30606), near the Bear Hollow Zoo. Map. Rapier combat starts at 7 p.m. and heavy combat starts at 8 p.m. FP moves to the Meyers Quad on the UGA campus for the months of August and September. More information and directions can be found on the MARS website.
- For the latest listings on Arts & Sciences workshops, please check the A&S calendar or contact the incoming A&S officer, Lady Jóra (Jenifer Clark) for more information. Email:
- Please contact our Baronial herald, the Silver Sail Pursuivant, Lord Sigfried (Steven Barrow), for heraldic submissions and information on heraldry use within the SCA. Email:
- European dance classes are held as interest warrants, currently Wednesdays on the UGA campus with MARS. Please contact the dancemistress, Baroness Mariona (Susan Wilson) for dates, time, and more information. Email:
- A very special message from the Baron & Baroness: “The Barony of Bryn Madoc mourns deeply the loss of a true friend and brother, Lonnie Harvel, known in these current Middle Ages as THLord Owen (Aoghann) de Montgomery. We loved him dearly and miss him greatly. Please join us in remembering him, his name and his deeds, and keep his family in your thoughts and meditations. With heavy hearts, Óengus & Muirenn”
- For the most current information on Baronial activities, join our email list by signing up through the Bryn Madoc Yahoo! group. We also have a page on Facebook.
- If you'd like to learn more about the Barony's history, visit Lymphad Journey: The Hall of Memory for the Barony of Bryn Madoc, Lord Dyfn's personal site on the history of Bryn Madoc.*
- If you're new to the SCA or interested in learning more about our organization, please investigate the SCA's “Resources and Information for Newcomers” site and the Kingdom of Meridies Chatelaine's site.
- Feb. 28 — Knight's Gambit (Thorngill, Doster Community Center, 424 S. Northington St., Prattville, AL 36067)
- March 15-22 — Gulf Wars (Kingdom of Gleann Abhann, King's Arrow Ranch, Lumberton, MS)
- April 11 — Spring Coronation* (Glynn Rhe, Lookout Mountain Camp, 277 County Rd. 632, Mentone, AL 35984)
- April 18 — Dreamstone Tourney / Baronial Investiture (Bryn Madoc, Camp Daniel Morgan, Hard Labor State Park, Rutledge, GA)
- April 25 — Fool's War (Tir Briste, Al Sihah Shrine Park, 222 Mecca Drive, Macon, GA 31205)
- May 2 — Golden Lily (Beau Fort, Camp Daniel Morgan, Hard Labor State Park, Rutledge, GA)
- May 9 — Lusty Month of May (Talmere, Little Tallapoosa Park, 1930 Highway 113 N, Carrollton, GA 30116)
- May 16 — Border Raids (tba)
- May 23-24 — Kingdom A&S / Spring Crown List (tba)
|Catch the activities at our 2008 Danelaw: Viking Games event courtesy of the University of Georgia's NewsSource 15! *|
- Baronial Awards: Order of the Dreamstone, Star of Bryn Madoc, Lord of the May/Harvest, Order of the Argent Oar, Order of Madoc's Lance, Muse of Bryn Madoc
- Contact the seneschal, Lady Isobail (Tammy Breckenridge) for more information on meetings and events. Email:
- Directions to the Meetings: Fire Station #8 is located at 3955 Jefferson Road, on US 129 on the northeast side of Athens. Map.*
From US-78 or GA-316: Take the exit for GA Loop 10 North around Athens, head on Loop 10 until you reach the US-129 / Prince Ave. exit. At Prince Ave., turn right, heading north towards Jefferson. Get in the left lane as you go through the intersection and traffic light at Jefferson River Road. Fire Station #8 is on the left, turn left onto Firefighter Court to access the parking lot. (If you get to the Golden Pantry/Shell at Whitehead Road, you've gone too far.)
From I-85: Take the Jefferson exit 137 and head south towards Athens on US-129. Fire Station #8 will be on the right, just past the Golden Pantry/Shell at Whitehead Road (first traffic light coming into Athens). Turn right onto Firefighter Court to access the parking lot.
- Directions to Dacula Fighter Practice: Dacula Park is located between Atlanta and Athens, GA in the town of Dacula, at 205 Dacula Rd. Map.*
From GA-316: Take best route to GA-316, turn north onto Harbins Rd., and continue onto Dacula Rd.
DISCLAIMER: This is the recognized web site for the Barony of Bryn Madoc of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc. and is maintained by M. Dowdle Head. This site may [or may not] contain electronic versions of the group's governing documents. Any discrepancies between the electronic version of any information on this site and the printed version that is available from the originating office will be decided in favor of the printed version. For information on using photographs, articles, or artwork from this web site, please contact the Webminister at . The Webminister will assist you in contacting the original creator of the piece. Please respect the legal rights of our contributors.
Copyright © 2015, Barony of Bryn Madoc.
The original contributors retain the copyright of certain portions of this site.
For information on using photographs, articles, or artwork from this website, please contact the web maintainer at the address below. They will assist you in contacting the original creator of the piece. Please respect the legal rights of our contributors.
Links marked with an asterisk (*) will take visitors to an outside website. External links are provided as a service to the populace at large and are offered on an “as is” basis. All external links are not part of the Barony of Bryn Madoc's web site. Inclusion of a page or site here is neither implicit nor explicit endorsement of the site. Further, SCA, Inc. is not responsible for content outside of brynmadoc.meridies.org.
The maintainer of this page is Margala (M. Dowdle Head).
Site maintainer is NOT accessible via the Tavern Yard.
This page was last updated on March 3, 2015.